- QTS, FHEA, PhD in Music Psychology
University of East Anglia
- Position: Associate Professor
Neuroscience of Music and Sound
- Faculty of Communication, Arts and Sciences
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +971 4 709 6196
- Location: Block B – Room B2-02
Dr. Papatzikis is an Assistant Professor of Educational Neuroscience, fervently studying the field of brain development and perception through music and sound. He has been extensively trained in and worked on neuroscience and music education in many high profile institutions prior to joining the Canadian University Dubai, including Harvard University (PostDoc in the Mind Brain and Education program; Postdoc training at the Athinoula Martinos Centre for Biomedical Neuroimaging), the University of East Anglia (PhD in Music Psychology), the UCL, Institute of Education, University of London and its adjunct centre of Educational Neuroscience (PostDoc lectureship) as well as the International Brain Research Organisation (PostDoc training in applied neuroscience and neuroimaging). Dr. Papatzikis has experience in industry as an advisor and researcher, including roles as Education Development Advisor for the Botin Foundation, Spain; Neuroscience Advisor for the Early Arts, UK; Neuroscience and Music Advisor for Early Years Programs at BBC, UK, as well as the CUD Project Leader for the World Health Organisation Quality Rights in Mental Health collaborative global initiative. Dr. Papatzikis’ research interests are focusing more specifically on infants and children’s neurobehavioral development through sound and music, educational development and special needs. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK and holds the Qualified Teacher Status for primary and secondary education, in Greece and the UK.
Areas of Specialization
Neuroscience, Music Psychology, Music Education
- Papatzikis, E., & Herbst, A. (Forthcoming). Measuring Continuous Response when listening to Music: Outlining an EEG-based protocol. Brain and Cognition Journal.
- Papatzikis, E., & Karapetsa, E. (Under review). Studying and improving motor skills of a student with trisomy 8, through sound amplification in classroom. SAGE Open Journal
- Nigdelis, V., & Papatzikis, E. (Accepted with changes). The Neuropricing Effect of Music: Extending Boundaries in Research. Frontiers in Behavioural Neuroscience Journal.
- Papatzikis, E. (2017). Neuromyths in Education and Development: A Comprehensive Approach. Special Issue Article in the European Scientific Journal. January Issue, pp. 85-91. ISSN: 1857-7881 (Print)e-ISSN 1857-7431
- Papatzikis, E. (2017). Investigating Infants’ Brainstem Development through Lullabies and Music: a W.I.P. Pilot Study. The Canada International Conference on Education Proceedings-Curriculum, Research and Development (CICE 2017), University of Toronto Mississauga Canada, pp. 244-248, ISBN: 978-1-908320-83-4
- Kalogeropoulou, M., Papatzikis, & E., Pliogou, V. (2017, in press). Contribution of ICT in Enhancing Working Memory in Children with ADHD. Research in Programs and School Books Conference, 17-19 March, Research and Evaluation Centre of Academic Books and Educational Programs, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
- Herbst, A., & Papatzikis, E. (2017). A neurobehavioural study of music and emotion: connecting EEG and qualitative research protocols. Poster at the International Conference Neuroscience and Music VI: Music, Sound and Health. Boston 15-18 June.
- Papatzikis, E. (2016). Neuromyths in Education and Development: A Comprehensive Approach. Published Reviewed Proceedings from the 6th Global Academic Meeting, GAM 2016 “Global Societal Challenges”, Dubai 1-2 November. Pages 85-91. ISBN: 978-608- 4642-54-1
- Pateli, A., Papatzikis, E., & Pliogou, V. (2016). Communication Techniques between children with sensory disabilities in an inclusive educational framework. Topics in Special Needs and Education Vol. 73, pp. 3-18, ISSN 11085509
- Papatzikis, E. (2016). Discussing Musical Creativity in Learning: Psychological Perceptions and Brain Research. International Educational Scientific Journal, Vol. 2 (6) pp. 1-4. (E-ISSN: 2455-295X)
- Papatzikis, E., & Papatziki, S. (2016). Investigating Rhythm and Heart rate Changes in an Infants Music Education Course: A Case Study. Psychology of Music. Vol. 44 (3) 587-606. DOI: 10.1177/0305735615584980
- Ntoliou, C., Papatzikis, E., & Pliogou, V. (2016). Investigating the Effectiveness of “Classwide Peer Tutoring”(CWPT) Strategy in a Mixed Learning (Dis)Abilities Primary School Classroom: A case study. Ankara Üniversitesi Eğitim Bilimleri Fakültesi Özel Eğitim Dergisi, Educational Sciences Journal of Special Education, 17(1). DOI: 10.1501/Ozlegt_0000000237
- Papatzikis, E. (2015). Understanding the brain through Neuromyths. Physics News Journal, Association of Greek Scientists in Physics. Vol 11, pp. 17-21. ISSN 2241-1127
- Papadopoulou, S., Papatzikis, E., & Pliogou, V. (2015). Investigating Dyslexia through a Foreign Language Learning Setting: A Case Study. Polydromo, Periodical for Bilingualism and Multiculturalism in Education and Society, Vol. 8, pp. 7-16
- Pateli A., Papatzikis, E., & Pliogou, V. (2014). Researching Issues and Effectiveness of Communication between Deaf and Blind students in the same classroom: A Case Study. In P. Georgogiannis (Ed.) Social Pedagogy and Intercultural Special Education. Published in Greek as an article in the peer-reviewed proceedings of the 18th International Conference in Social and Intercultural Special Education, University of Patras, Greece, Vol. 2, pp. 193-205. ISBN: 978-960-8206-91-5
- Herbst, A., & Papatzikis, E. (2014). Cross-referencing Multimodal (Behavioural-EEG) Responses to Structural Elements: A Neurobehavioural Approach to Music and Emotions. In Forrest, D. & Del-Ben, L. (Eds), Peer-Reviewed Papers submitted at the International Society for Music Education (ISME) International Conference, Brazil. Conference Proceedings, pp. 107-108
- Papatzikis, E. (2014). Investigating Infants’ Neurobehavioural Development in a Music Education Context: Tempo and Beats and their Impact in the Infants’ Heart Rate. In Forrest, D. & Del-Ben, L. (Eds), Peer-Reviewed Papers submitted at the International Society for Music Education (ISME) International Conference, Brazil. Conference Proceedings, pp. 149-150
Papatzikis, E. (2017). Developmental Psychology in Music Education. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing: Saarbrucken, Germany ISBN 978- 3-330-07677-8.
Chapter in Books
- Papatzikis, E. (forthcoming chapter) What is Cognitive Neuroscience. In Lambert, L. & Pasha-Zaidi, N. (Eds.) Introduction to Psychology.
- Papatzikis, E. (forthcoming chapter) Neurons and Neurotransmitters. In Lambert, L. & Pasha-Zaidi, N. (Eds.) Introduction to Psychology.Simons, J.,
- Papatzikis, E., & Monteforte, D. (2014). Working with Challenging Children: From Theory to Practice in Primary Education. Nova Science Publishers Inc, Forward, pp 7-12. ISBN: 978-163321868-0; 978-161122009-4