- Associate Degree
- 2 Years (4 Semesters, with a summer internship)
- 63 Credit Hours
- Fall, Spring
Food safety is an important aspect of protecting the health and well being of society. As a growing sector, business and regulatory organizations alike are seeing an increasing demand for qualified and practiced professionals in the field. CUD’s new Associate Degree in Food Safety will provide you with a broad, hands-on education in basic sciences and develop your fundamental knowledge in food safety, to enable you to advance your skills and develop your career in this important professional discipline.
The program places emphasis on practical learning and teaches international food management systems and standards, such as HACCP and ISO 22000. Topics of study include: the evaluation of food quality control and safety issues in the UAE in areas such as food laws and legislation; food chemistry and processing; quality management; food safety; and inspection sampling techniques and auditing. As a student of this program, you will also have the opportunity to take environmental health management courses, conduct field visits, and get practical industry experience through a relevant work placement.
On successful completion of the Associate Degree in Food Safety, you will be able to apply the skills and competencies required for professional practice in the field, including:
- Demonstrate knowledge of inspecting and auditing food establishments;
- Inspect food consignments with reference to UAE laws and regulations;
- Describe biological and chemical items;
- Demonstrate basic knowledge in food processing practices;
- Sample food based on related governmental protocols, and established testing frequencies;
- Think critically, solve problems and take action to resolve problems;
- Communicate effectively;
- Apply the knowledge you obtained in the day-to-day field of work.
The region’s growing hospitality sector, alongside the increasing expectations in consumer confidence, has established a high demand for qualified professionals in the food safety industry. Opportunities for graduate of this program include roles in food safety and inspection in municipalities, hotels and restaurants, and specialist consultancies.
Graduates of the program can also use their credits to progress to the Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health Management, and can obtain exceptions equivalent to one and a half years of this fully accredited BSc program.